Monday, July 11, 2011

Knitwear at the Movies: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Are you sick of these yet?  I'm just getting warmed up (you know... in the goblet of... fire.  Lame.)!  Seriously, I've gotten really impatient with the early parts of each movie; it's all I can do not to say "be winter already!" aloud.  HP4!
AKA the one where Ron acts like a useless git most of the time

Hermione's First Task Sweater
The sweater Hermione wears to the First Task of the Triwizard Tournament is only seen from underneath her coat, but it still makes an impact.
and this is the best shot I could get of it.  Sorry, Emma.
It's a turtleneck with ribbing at the cuffs, hem, and neck; cables throughout the body; and pink and white colorwork across the top of the chest.  Pretty sweet.

Ginny's Quidditch World Cup Cardigan
Blink and you miss it, but Ginny's cardi is pretty cute.
It's purple-gray?  With embroidery on the shoulders?  And multicolored tassels?  Sorry the quality's so poor on that. She was in the background of the scene.
Ginny's Second Task Hat
Beehive hat, activate!
Fred or George, you are adorable.
This hat fits loosely; it's embellished with woven ribbon (or ribbon yarn) throughout and an attached flower on the left side.  I wish I could see the mittens more clearly, but the moment does not warrant still hands, as evidenced by Fred/George's face!

Cedric's Simple Stripe Sweater
Cedric Diggory (Robert Pattinson, natch) wore a sweater when he jumped from a tree while not sparkling because VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE that's totally not this movie.
It's a simple stockinette V-neck pullover in mustard (Hufflepuff much?) with two thin white stripes.  My reasons for including this sweater are 1) the fit is nice and it's situationally appropriate; 2) I like the jumping-from-a-tree entrance; 3) Twilight fans, you're welcome; and 4) I really wanted to segue into this:
I'm so glad this moment was in the film.  Also, I cried extra super hard at the end, now that I have a kid and all.  OK, moving on.

Ron's Chudley Cannons Blanket
And now the moment you've been waiting for (not really): you're in Ron's bedroom!
image via RupertGrintGallery.com
There are a bunch of stripes of various widths in rustic sunset colors.  Also, "CHUDLEY" and some sort of crest with wings(?) are applied on one side.  It's crazy and very Ron.

Weasley Twins' Cardigans
Somebody tell me how to tell the Weasley twins apart; I can't for the life of me (which puts me just behind their own [fictional] mother, so I don't feel too guilty).
Not pictured: the cardigan's twin and its owner
Stockinette cardigan(s) with ribbed neck/hem/cuffs and a geometric colorwork design.  I really like the continuation of the triangle-pair design on the sleeves.
Weasley Twins' Second Task Hats
James and Oliver Phelps are scene-stealing and hilarious.
Fred and George, you are adorable.
The design on the hats seem a little feminine to me, but it works with their characters' confident, own-drummer sensibilities.  AND this is one of the only hat designs I've seen that absolutely needs the pompon.  Because, yes!  ...I like redheads.

And that's all I have for this movie.  Tune in this afternoon for the Pattern Round-up.  Wizard Pep Band, play us out!
What, no saxophones?

No comments: